[Sugar-devel] Bundling libraries, RPMs? (was Re: WatchMe-1, a VNC activity)

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 17 16:03:21 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 21:52, Luke Faraone<luke at faraone.cc> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 15:48, Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
> <bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> PackageKit uses PolicyKit for the authentication framework, which
>> means you can very easily define the following permissions:
>>
>> 1. user A can install signed RPMs from the repositories without root
>> password
>>
>> 2. user B can update his system, providing the root password for the
>> first time but then without password
>>
>> 3. user C can install signed RPMs from the repositories as well as
>> unsigned RPMs entering his own password.
>
> So PackageKit allows me to install the RPM for me, and only me, without
> affecting other users?

No.

RPMs are installed for the whole system (or in a chroot, but that
kinda replicates another system).

I didn't really see the need for installing activities in ~/, I really
can't imagine why you'd want to install all their dependencies in ~/
as well :-/

(and « because we can't ask the user the root password » is not a
valid excuse, see PolicyKit)