[Sugar-devel] [Design] Ad-hoc networks - New Icons

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Aug 17 05:14:33 EDT 2009

Let me summarize this thread:

a) User Point of view
Mesh: created automatically, small networks

Ad-Hoc: user created, very small networks, internet connection sharing

b) Technically
Mesh: not range limited (package forwarding), no creator principle

Ad-Hoc: range limited, best 2 people to avoid cases where C can see A
and B, but A and B are unaware of each others presence, still present
when the creator leaves

Which icon to pick:
The ad-hoc network is not really well presented with a badged mesh icon
as it may suggest non existing properties. As well a badged AP icon is
not optimal, as the network can persist if the creator leaves. Though,
if the ad-hoc network is only for very small networks I wonder if we
would see the case, where the creator leaves before the others, often.
The quality of an infrastructure is given, in that the creator provides
his guests with internet facilities if present.

I would vote for a badged AP icon (if it is distinguishable enough), or
a complete new icon (should be based on a circle, as the wireless device
icon is a circle as well).

Regards,
    Simon