[Sugar-devel] [Design] Ad-hoc networks - New Icons

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 17 17:57:20 EDT 2009

Daniel Drake wrote:
> 2009/8/11 Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com>:
>> Hmmmm. Are you sure this is an accurate statement? I was under the
>> impression that mesh forwarding support had been removed/disabled from OLPCs
>> implementation a long time ago, since soon after the Mongolia deployment.
>> Mesh was killing the wireless spectrum with all the attempted packet
>> retransmissions. It is really only 'mesh' in name, all devices have to be in
>> range of each other to collaborate.
>
> Yes, forwarding still happens.

It does, in mesh mode.  Mesh mode is still built into the default
software, but OLPC encourages deployments to install standard wireless
access points in the schools, instead of using the mesh there.

What OLPC has "deprecated" is Mesh Portal (MPP) mode, in which XOs connect
to both an access point _and_ to a mesh network, on the same channel, and
route packets between them.  This setup was designed with the idea that it
would allow a small number of access points to cover a large area.
Unfortunately, the overhead of forwarding packets through the mesh has
thus far exceeded the gain in covered area.

--Ben