[Sugar-devel] Screen Displays (text)

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Fri Aug 14 17:20:00 EDT 2009

As this list knows, I've been struggling with font sizes and screen
displays - to get my text-based activity looking right on various
size/format displays. By "looking right", I mean: a single fixed screen
(there is no scrolling; all text is always visible) that fills up fairly
fully, but does not overflow vertically or horizontally. (Literally no
graphics except buttons, frames and spins.)

I'm using 3(or 4?) basic displays, and all require me to format differently.
(And in a drastic way.) These are: the XO-1 (native, as well as using SoaS);
a 17" 4:3 ratio LCD monitor; and the (approx. 16:9) display on an ASUS
EEEPC90 netbook. I gather that Sugar (via PyGTK) does not do any
auto-adjusting, at least text-wise, to different screen formats. You can't
even use a native XO-1 activity copied to SoaS and played back on the XO-1.

As I've mentioned before, the native XO-1 project only fills the upper
left-hand corner of my LCD monitor. A second version for the LCD monitor
overflowed (both vertically and horizontally) both a wide-screen Toshiba
laptop and the ASUS. A third, ASUS version looks fair (if too small) on the
LCD monitor, and is *way* too small for the XO-1.

I have wonderful, easy ways now to adjust font size, both for the entire
activity and locally. It's just that for now it seems a different project
version is needed by each type of display, as well as for XO-1 (native)
vis-a-vis Sugar on a Stick.

Has anyone squarely faced and solved this issue?

I suppose it would help if "auto-scrollbars" appeared (both horizontal and
vertical). However, I really do need everything on a single screen and
always visible. What I'm looking for is some reasonable auto-adjust to
monitor format/type.

Art Hunkins