[Sugar-devel] Screen Displays (text)

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 17:28:38 EDT 2009

I use

  gtk.gdk.screen_width()
  gtk.gdk.screen_height()

to determine the absolute screen size in pixels.

I have never been able to get a consistent pixels per inch reading, however.

I assume a scale factor for non-XO for my text of 1.6 relative to text
on an XO display, which seems to give generally consistent results.

I determine whether or not I am on an XO with:

    if os.path.exists('/sys/power/olpc-pm'): # then assume you are on an XO

-walter

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Art Hunkins<abhunkin at uncg.edu> wrote:
> As this list knows, I've been struggling with font sizes and screen
> displays - to get my text-based activity looking right on various
> size/format displays. By "looking right", I mean: a single fixed screen
> (there is no scrolling; all text is always visible) that fills up fairly
> fully, but does not overflow vertically or horizontally. (Literally no
> graphics except buttons, frames and spins.)
>
> I'm using 3(or 4?) basic displays, and all require me to format differently.
> (And in a drastic way.) These are: the XO-1 (native, as well as using SoaS);
> a 17" 4:3 ratio LCD monitor; and the (approx. 16:9) display on an ASUS
> EEEPC90 netbook. I gather that Sugar (via PyGTK) does not do any
> auto-adjusting, at least text-wise, to different screen formats. You can't
> even use a native XO-1 activity copied to SoaS and played back on the XO-1.
>
> As I've mentioned before, the native XO-1 project only fills the upper
> left-hand corner of my LCD monitor. A second version for the LCD monitor
> overflowed (both vertically and horizontally) both a wide-screen Toshiba
> laptop and the ASUS. A third, ASUS version looks fair (if too small) on the
> LCD monitor, and is *way* too small for the XO-1.
>
> I have wonderful, easy ways now to adjust font size, both for the entire
> activity and locally. It's just that for now it seems a different project
> version is needed by each type of display, as well as for XO-1 (native)
> vis-a-vis Sugar on a Stick.
>
> Has anyone squarely faced and solved this issue?
>
> I suppose it would help if "auto-scrollbars" appeared (both horizontal and
> vertical). However, I really do need everything on a single screen and
> always visible. What I'm looking for is some reasonable auto-adjust to
> monitor format/type.
>
> Art Hunkins

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs