[Sugar-devel] Karma IRC meeting - August 11

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 02:44:27 EDT 2009

2009/8/10 NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu>

> Having said that I certainly believe that such a feature would be overkill
>> at this point, there's a bunch of much higher priority tasks that we need to
>> tackle before and it's important not to lose focus of our main goals.

Sorry, I somehow missed your e-mail yesterday...

> Now that is what I agree with 100%. However at least planning for the
>> future cannot be a waste of time (unless it takes more time than can be
>> saved later). So probably the following two things would be enough
>> preparation:
>
> 1. Do not use fancy lesson plans (like pdf or formatting) so creating some
> some wiki -> karma converter will be possible. Then you will be able to
> crowd source.

The current plan is to use simple .html for the teacher's note, lesson plan
and help text.

As far as using a Wiki is concerned we're simply not at a stage where we can
spend too much time working on these sets of issues. But it's definitely
something to keep in mind for the future.

2. Do not wire questions/examples into the karma lesson. (It is mostly done
> because of internationalization issues.) It is only relevant for text only
> or mostly text only lessons because Karma is for programmers and the
> potential contributors will be teachers and nonprogrammer people cannot
> modify the code via a wiki I think that is obvious. They also will not be
> able to draw via a wiki.
> I think that you should consider at least the 1. point since it is
> basically "do not do anything"... :)

I don't understand the reasoning behind "don't wire questions/examples" into
a Karma lesson... Of course a Karma lesson can, will and (IMHO) should come
with interactive exercises and/or games!
Please also understand that within Karma a "lesson" is really a unit of
knowledge or content. Some of them will only be that, content being
presented in an interesting way, but hopefully people also add interesting
exercises and games to these lessons so the children
have different means of engaging with the content.

Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer
co-editor, olpcnews