[Sugar-devel] New activity: Arithmetic.

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 01:38:15 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Christoph Derndorfer <
christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:

> * there should be some sort of start button to get the quiz started, I felt
> quite an adrenaline rush when I started the activity and saw the clock
> ticking away immediatedly
>  * there seems to be quite an issue with syncing collaboration because
> initially the activities on both virtual machines were off by maybe half a
> second or so but after leaving them running for 10 minutes the difference
> had increased to more than 6 seconds.

* one funky bug that I discovered by chance is that Arithmetic doesn't seem
to know how to deal with two players with the same name. Both my virtual
machines happened to be called "Christoph" and while collaboration works
just fine there's only one player being listed who gets all the points
regardless of which of the two VMs I use to solve the questions. (Anybody
know how other activities deal with this issue?)
* another interesting observation I made is that when user B connects to a
shared session by user A the player list on user B's screen initially only
lists himself whereas user A's list is quickly updated to list both players.
It is only after user A answers a question correctly (a wrong answer won't
do that) that his player information shows up on user B's list. That however
only seems to happen with the first two players because if a user C then
joins the session the player list on his screen accurately contains the
information about the other players.
* another issue is that the player list isn't updated to reflect that a
player has left a session. So if user A initially plays with user B but user
B later leaves the session the player list doesn't remove user B's
information. When user C subsequently joins the shared session though he
only see's user A as being an active player.
* one seriously awesome bug is
that one can repeatedly hit ENTER on a correctly solved problem during the
remaining time until the next question is posted to quickly increase one's
score;-)

Anyway, hope that feedback is useful.

BTW, if anyone feels up to challenging me then look me up on
jabber.sugarlabs.org, I'll try and keep a shared Arithmetic session open
while I'm in the office today:-)

Cheers,
Christoph

--