[Sugar-devel] Karma's Chakra - 2 views on lessons

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 03:24:20 EDT 2009

Hi all,
I spent some time toying around with Chakra in the past 24 hours. As a
preliminary result I have concluded that we should initially support two
different "views" of the available lessons.

(1) What I call "E-Paath" style (see the attached chakra_epaath_s.jpg) as it
follows E-Paath's current flow in terms of choosing Grade - Subject - Week
before being presented with an overview of the available lessons.
(2) "List" style (see the attached chakra_list_s.jpg) which is a simple list
of lessons available for that Grade and Subject (of course one could make it
even simpler by listing all lessons for a given Subject, regardless of
Grade)

(Please ignore the lack of reasonable design and color choices in these
screenshots;-)

Now the question is how to generate these Chakras for a given set of lessons
(which are stored in sub-folders)...

In general the issue is that with the currently proposed Karma bundle layout
(http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Karma/Bundle_layout) the only information we
have about a lesson is it's name. This is of course too little data to
create a nice Chakra with Grade and Subject choices. Subsequently I believe
that we should find a way to include some additional information with
lessons.

The way that OLE Nepal currently handles it during E-Paath development is
that lessons are stored in sub-folders named <Grade>_<Subject>_<Lesson
Name>_<Week> (e.g. 6_English_RajuAndTheWolf_1). Based on that information a
support scripts then builds the Flash menu structure.

Now I was thinking that one approach could be to include some sort of .info
file in each lesson that contains the information. While Subject probably
will be fairly consistent between various countries the Grade information is
highly country-specific and could be put into the respective .po files for
each locale.

What do you think, does that approach make sense? What are other possible
solutions to deal with this?

As always, all comments, feedback and suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer