[Sugar-devel] buddy tags

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Aug 4 22:06:07 EDT 2009

On 5 Aug 2009, at 01:53, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> Eben Eliason wrote:
>> still kind of like "likes" as the prompt, but something more general
>> like "profile" could also work.
>
> I think Facebook's solution is very elegant here.   Their status
> messages
> are simply prepended with your name, typeset differently from the body
> text.  You can use this to form a sentence (with a third person
> singular
> verb) or just let it be separate.

Thanks for the feedback Benjamin. Yea we've been looking for the right
wording :-)

Profile is the obvious formal choice, but not very child friendly or
instructive. Facebook uses "what's on your mind" and then displays
that as "<name_in_bold> <string>", but that would have a buddy name
showing up twice in the dialogue.

Eben's "I like:" and "Likes:" are good, but seems to mentally limit
this generic and flexible feature. e.g maybe my teacher asks me to add
a unique name for some school project/club/class; or I want to list
things I can do but don't necessarily like; maybe I have some physical
item/food/tool/service to lend/share/rent/sell that I'd like to list.
I guess these goals could be achieved by writing out in full text, but
the goal was not to display paragraphs of profile text, but tags/
keywords, maybe we have ~150 characters at max? All this is bouncing
through gabble (salut too at some point once its implemented), so we
need to be aware of traffic volume given that this gets more useful as
the number of buddies grows.

Tomeu: We're clearly limited in UI space anyway, but do you have an
idea/recommendation for character/byte upper limit from the technical
side?

Hmmm...

Regards,
--Gary