[Sugar-devel] First step towards an efficient feedback process

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Mon Aug 3 16:11:21 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Christoph
Derndorfer<christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quite frankly speaking I don't understand why the deployment related
> conversations and feedback should be kept on IAEP when most of it
> (especially at early stages of deployments and school projects, which is
> were most small and large efforts are at the moment) will be of a relatively
> technical
> nature.

For the same reasons that splitting roles and responsibilities between
Sugar Labs, Fedora, and OLPC has created some effective abstraction
barriers.  These barriers have cleaned up Sugar deployments quite a
bit.

In order to 'scale' up support we need a set of process and
conventions for communicating between deployments and develops.

> As an example let me mention the Austrian pilot where during my visits I'm normally
> dealing with issues such as laptops not shutting down, activities being
> deleted and collaboration not working as expected. The teachers there have a
> fairly good idea of what they would want to use the laptops for if they or
> the children didn't hit technical roadblocks that slow the classroom usage
> down ever so often.

All true.  Taking this argument a step further in context of Sugar
Labs;  The underling challenge is not that deployments have technical
problems, the challenge is creating methods for communicating these
problems as usable information to develops.

> It's only once we moved a bit behind those early
> technical hickups that the discussions about the "good stuff" (education and
> whatnot) will start to take place.

Again true.  Have you seen the draft project roadmap I sent to iaep I
sent a few weeks ago?

> Having said that I personally believe that the core consideration in such a
> feedback process should be to have someone dedicate him- or herself to it.
> As Greg Smith showed so well at OLPC a single person at an organization can
> make all the difference when it comes to communication between deployment
> and developer communities.

Again true: Taking this argument a step further in context of Sugar
Labs;   First, how to we attract and engage a person with Greg's
skills and knowledge?  Second, how do we scale that person?

Open source development _depends_ on people scratching their own
itches.  If a deployment wants a new feature or bug fixed it is in
their best interest to help make that happen.  Thus deployments _must_
become participants in Sugar Labs rather than consumers if they want
their itches scratched.

> At the same time deployments, regardless how large or small, should be
> encouraged to offer at least a single (and reliable!) point of contact for
> feedback collection.

I would turn this on it's head and say, "For deployment support to
scale, at least one member of a deployment should become an activate
participant in Sugar Labs."

> I really liked the list at
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Deployment_Team/Places that Tomeu started back
> in February, however I just realized that (unless I missed something) the
> people listed on that page have never been contacted in a structured manner
> to give feedback.
> So, to end this with an actionable item I would suggest that we start
> flashing out a process and preferably an actual questionnaire of some kind
> to be sent to people in deployments listed on the page mentioned above or
> who we know personally (and subsequently encourage to sign up to the page
> above;-) by the time brainstorming for 0.88 starts. With the 6-month release
> cycle we have the opportunity to organize structured and timely feedback
> flows twice a year.

Again, this depends on 'having a we' without consideration for who
that 'we' is that is expected to do the work.  If a deployment want
support of new feature they must become part of that 'we.'

> At the same time we should make it as easy as possible for people to leave
> their feedback, and when I say "as easy as possible" I'm not thinking of a
> mailing-list, Trac or some wiki-template. Instead of scaring people away
> with lots of tech-talk (like we do
> on http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Submit_Bugs/Problems at the moment) simply
> put feedback at sugarlabs.org in <h1> on key locations of the wiki and Web
> site.

You have taken your argument all the way around and reached the same
conclusion as I did:)  Developer use tech-talk. Deployers (for the
most part) don't.  The challenge is creating processes (bridges) which
meet the needs of two important constituencies,  deployers and
developers.

david