[Sugar-devel] Screen Reposition?

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Mon Aug 3 10:55:21 EDT 2009

I've had second thoughts on this issue.

The problem is not that "SoaS text us way too small when displayed on an
XO-1." SoaS text, *when properly displayed on its native screen (i.e., sized
to/filling the entire screen)*, displays fine on an XO-1.

The problem is that activities written for the XO-1 do not always display
properly (i.e., fill the screen) in SoaS.

It would have been incredibly helpful if SoaS included a resizing mechanism
that permits most XO-1 projects to display properly in SoaS.

I understand that projects written in GTK+ automatically resize;
unfortunately those in PyGTK don't. Assuming that no absolute positioning is
involved, IMHO, SoaS should - by itself - resize.

The alternative, of course, is for everyone who built for the XO-1 using
PyGTK, to recode their activities. Unless SoaS includes such a resize
capability, many fine activities, I presume, will be lost to future
generations.

Is it still possible that resize capability, at least for PyGTK code without
absolute positioning, might be included in SoaS?

(I, for one, am otherwise confronting the need to either completely recode,
or to offer two versions of my activity - one for the XO-1, one for SoaS.)

Art Hunkins