[Sugar-devel] Initial implementation of toolbars design

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Aug 1 11:03:52 EDT 2009

Hi Tomeu,

On 1 Aug 2009, at 15:37, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> Quick question: Are you going to try and support existing
>>> deployments and keep and maintain both toolbar implementations? That
>>> is certainly (but painfully) my plan, as that's where 99.9% of our
>>> users are. You might need to wish me luck as well, as I'm not half
>>> as code prolific as you ;-)
>>
>> I have secret weapon, sugar-port[1] for that purpose :)
>
> You mean each of those activities will ship with its own copy of the
> new toolbars? That's quite a bit scary from the support POV.

Activities run on old releases would continue to use old toolbar
layout/design (no visible change for users or support docs etc), but
if run on a release supporting the new toolbar design, they would use
it instead. Activities for the foreseeable future will end up with two
sets (old and new) of Toolbar creation logic, and some initial code
logic to check if the new toolbar API is available and build the
correct Toolbar. When adding new toolbar features or making changes,
we (activity authors) will need to make sure to update and test both
Toolbars layouts.

I'm not sure what I would recommend to a new author, both I guess if
they have the time/patience :-( I'm likely to suggest they initially
use the old design so that they get to the widest audience, and then
once happy with their activity, add on the new toolbar design. If OLPC
start deploying 0.86 at end of year, and/or old deployments start
upgrading, and/or SoaS (or other dirstros) have some large deployments
(>10K), then that advice clearly would change (i.e. build to new
design, then back-port for existing deployments).

Regards,
--Gary