[Sugar-devel] Sugar on Ubuntu 9.04 will not start

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 17:34:21 EDT 2009

o The cyrillic font and hal error messages appear to be irrelevant, as
they are in sugar-jhbuild. I wouldn't mind seeing them fixed, though.

o The keyboard errors are mysterious to me. I would like to knew
whether they are part of the problem, or just further irrelevancies.

o The culprit appears to be a security setting in config/dbus that
prevents Xephyr from accessing the display. Does anybody know where
this setting is, and what it should say instead?

I am otherwise very pleased to see several updated activities that I
need to make use of in the Textbook project.

$ sugar-emulator
/usr/bin/sugar-emulator
root at mokurai-laptop:/etc/xdg/xubuntu/menus# sugar-emulator
[dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic,
removing from list!
[config/dbus] couldn't take over org.x.config:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied (Connection ":1.71" is not
allowed to own the service "org.x.config.display100" due to security
policies in the configuration file)
unrecognised device identifier!
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
unrecognised device identifier!
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
unrecognised device identifier!
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
unrecognised device identifier!
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
unrecognised device identifier!
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
[dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic,
removing from list!
(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
[config/dbus] couldn't take over org.x.config:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied (Connection ":1.71" is not
allowed to own the service "org.x.config.display100" due to security
policies in the configuration file)
unrecognised device identifier!
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
unrecognised device identifier!
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
unrecognised device identifier!
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
unrecognised device identifier!
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
unrecognised device identifier!
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (2)
matchbox: keyboard does not appear to have a <alt> key.
matchbox: ignoring key shortcut <Alt>return=fullscreen

/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/jarabe/desktop/meshbox.py:19:
DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib
module instead
  import sha
/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/jarabe/desktop/keydialog.py:17:
DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
  import md5

And Children are my nation.