[Sugar-devel] Naming of XS host (was: Re: Local static page, final call for edits)

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 18:08:09 EDT 2009

Schoolserver is a bit long.  But it does seem descriptive to me. Am I
missing something about the metaphorical level discussion? Its the server
that lives at the school right?

I had thought in the US that schools would host their school servers
externally, but after being in a couple schools and trying to download from
the web I'm not so sure.  The connection speed does seem like its an issue,
I'm imaging this will be  especially if you have  an entire class of kids
trying to watch the same movie at the same time.  My current thinking is
that a school server that includes good local caching inside the building
will be a powerful part of the entire Sugar experience even in the US.

To brainstorm a bit.

How about "Neighborhood Server" as its what powers your neighborhood view?
Although personally I find it impossible to spell neighborhood.

How about "Local Server", "MySchool",

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Luke Faraone <luke at faraone.cc> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Sascha Silbe <
> sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:25:09AM -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
>>
>>  School, on a metaphorical level, is a place where learning happens,
>>> where children go every day, form a group, community, play, exchange,
>>> wrestle, eat, interact, etc.
>>>
>> While it's a good idea at the metaphorical level, "school" has a specific
>> and quite often not-too-positive meaning in a lot of countries. For that
>> reason, I'd vote against schoolserver. I can't think of any better term yet,
>> though. :-/
>> How about just "XS"? It's cryptic enough not to have any connotation. ;)
>>

> But it's also unfortunately meaningless to most people. People are better
> able to remember things when they have a meaning attached to them that makes
> sense in everyday life. I'm not saying "schoolserver" is the right word, I
> just think that adding to the alphabet soup isn't going to help us. Plus,
> look at what google says <http://www.google.com/search?q=xs> :)
>
> --
> Luke Faraone
> http://luke.faraone.cc