[Sugar-devel] Naming of XS host (was: Re: Local static page, final call for edits)

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Thu Apr 2 17:54:08 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Sascha Silbe <
sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:25:09AM -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
>
>  School, on a metaphorical level, is a place where learning happens,
>> where children go every day, form a group, community, play, exchange,
>> wrestle, eat, interact, etc.
>>
> While it's a good idea at the metaphorical level, "school" has a specific
> and quite often not-too-positive meaning in a lot of countries. For that
> reason, I'd vote against schoolserver. I can't think of any better term yet,
> though. :-/
> How about just "XS"? It's cryptic enough not to have any connotation. ;)

But it's also unfortunately meaningless to most people. People are better
able to remember things when they have a meaning attached to them that makes
sense in everyday life. I'm not saying "schoolserver" is the right word, I
just think that adding to the alphabet soup isn't going to help us. Plus,
look at what google says <http://www.google.com/search?q=xs> :)

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc