[sugar] "Reference Platform" for Sugar ?

David Farning dfarning
Mon Sep 1 13:06:51 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 19:41 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
> > With Sugar "releases" being separate from OLPC "releases", is there
> > an 'Official Platform' on which to validate that "everything works"?
>
> I'm not sure to fully understand your question. Sugar can run of
> multiple platforms, I wouldn't consider any of them like "official",
> but clearly OLPC is by far the most important of them at the moment.

Good morning Mikus;)

Thanks for you help last week.  If, by reference platform, you are
referring to a specific distribution, release, and packages set for
Sugar development.  Then, no, there is no reference platform.

One of our goals is to be distribution agnostic.  From a development
point of view this allows us to create an abstraction barrier between
Sugar and the platform underneath it.

>From a social point of view we avoid the 'distro wars.'  We can focus on
being the best learning platform.  The system integrators and deployers
can chose us or not chose us, based on their current market needs.

Thanks
dfarning