[sugar] 9.1 Proposal: Legacy compatibility.

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu
Fri Oct 17 15:45:39 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 12:37 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> I'd like to present a few areas where sugar can "play nice with
> others", including:
>  * replacing the matchbox window manager, to provide better
> multiple-window support for legacy apps (think of the 'gimp', running
> as multiple windows without one full-screen "activity area" aka
> "virtual desktop")

I'm ready to help with this, and would definitely like to participate
in the brainstorming session on this.

>  * making sugar behave well when run in non-full-screen-mode under
> metacity.  This includes refactoring home/friends/mesh view as
> operations on root window, so they make sense in a multiwindow setup.
> (It's been suggested that looking at the xpenguins code is instructive
> for understanding how nautilus,etc arrange their root window.)
>  * Switch to standard freedesktop.org startup notification mechanism:
> ticket #5271
>  * Implement freedesktop.org notifications mechanism for alerts (low
> battery, low disk space, available software update)
>  * Use standard fd.o notification area in frame -- I think this would
> also address cjb's desire to put the 'stop' button for recordmydesktop
> in the frame.

Apart from the window manager stuff - something I will probably be
working on is support for standard .desktop files - which are used to
generate the main menu entries in standard desktops. Any .desktop file
installed in the usual places should show up in the activity list, so
everytime you are using an XO for dogfooding, you don't have to fire
up Terminal/xterm/<insert your favourite terminal emulator here> to
run an application.
I should ideally have some code to show by the time of the camp.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta