[sugar] Window manager support for standard applications

Erik Garrison erik
Tue Oct 14 10:22:52 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 04:10:14PM -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti writes:

> >> I've been using the Awesome window manager[1] on my XO lately
> >> for standard X apps, perhaps it should be up for consideration?
> >>
> >> It's really fast and light, supports a mix of fullscreen and floating
> >> windows plus unlimited virtual desktops.  It also has a tiling mode for
> >> people who want that, but it's completely optional.  I use it as a tabbed
> >> window manager and ignore the tiling.  Recent versions are also scriptable
> >> using Lua, which isn't Python but at least is very lightweight and fast.
>
> That would be a bad move. A coworker of mine has been picking through
> the Lua interpreter lately. The code is quite awful. It's not really
> all that lightweight, and it's anything but fast.

I believe Lua is used as an extension language in Awesome and that
the bulk of the system is written in C?

There is at least one fast window manager written almost completely in
Lua.  See Ion.

Erik