[sugar] Window manager support for standard applications

Albert Cahalan acahalan
Sun Oct 12 16:10:14 EDT 2008

Marco Pesenti Gritti writes:
On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 4:11 AM, Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpgritti at gmail.com>wrote:

>>> 11 replace matchbox with a more traditional desktop window
>>> manager, with the ability to fullscreen windows when appropriate.
>>
>> I've been using the Awesome window manager[1] on my XO lately
>> for standard X apps, perhaps it should be up for consideration?
>>
>> It's really fast and light, supports a mix of fullscreen and floating
>> windows plus unlimited virtual desktops.  It also has a tiling mode for
>> people who want that, but it's completely optional.  I use it as a tabbed
>> window manager and ignore the tiling.  Recent versions are also scriptable
>> using Lua, which isn't Python but at least is very lightweight and fast.

That would be a bad move. A coworker of mine has been picking through
the Lua interpreter lately. The code is quite awful. It's not really
all that lightweight, and it's anything but fast.

> If I'm not mistake Awesome was the most likely candidate in the
> list Scott posted some weeks ago.
>
> Personally I'd still favor metacity, if we can convince upstream
> to take patches to implement the functionalities we need, mainly
> because I trust the code and the maintainers. Also the Ubuntu
> netbook team seem to be going down that way.

Metacity is unquestionably the superior choice.