[sugar] (very) Little Proposals for 9.1

pgf at laptop.org pgf
Mon Oct 13 09:35:02 EDT 2008

jerome wrote:
 > I agree with this. I was with my (almost) 7 year old daughter
 > yesterday and she was studying scratch with 767 and after an hour of
 > playing around, she told me that she wants to turn it off (the XO) but
 > she couldn't determine how as there is no obvious way of doing so from
 > the OS unlike what she can do on XP or Gnome, so the first thing she
 > did  was press the power button.

i've always been surprised that the power button doesn't allow
shutdown.  i think the button should invoke a menu, which, if left
untouched for 5 or 10 seconds, would allow the laptop to sleep
as it does now.  the menu should have entries for "cancel" and
"shutdown".  i suppose for completeness there should be one for
"suspend" as well, but "reboot" is unnecessary, imho.

(if this menu were present, there might be no need for those
entries in the UI itself.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org