[sugar] Window manager support for standard applications

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Sun Oct 12 07:32:00 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpgritti at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I spent some time trying to nail down the concrete changes we will need to
> properly support standard desktop applications in Sugar 0.84. Here are some
> notes. It's *not* a huge amount of work and I think we should really do it.
>

> 1 sugar.graphics.icon needs support for pixbufs #8661.
>
> 2 jarabe.model.shell should use a SnMonitor instead of dbus to listen for
> startup notifications.
>
> 3 sugar.activity.activityfactory should use SnLauncher to notify startup
> instead of a dbus call to shell. I don't think it's worth to use
> GdkAppLaunchContext yet. It's just a tiny layer over libsn and it would
> introduce a strong dependency on gtk 2.14/glib 2.18. Furthermore we will
> need to interface directly with libsn for the Monitor anyway.

I'm not really sure about this. We need to move to gio/GdkAppLaunch at some
point and it might be worth to do it while we are doing major changes. The
main blocker is that we need to be absolutely sure that OLPC will ship with
F10 for 9.1.0.

Marco