[sugar] Sugar USB testing

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Fri Oct 10 10:14:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 4:46 AM, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> :)  I made a new one, but then left it in my computer at home! I did bring
> my XO and everyone liked it of course.
>
> I posted my notes from the visit to Fenway today:
> http://schoolkey.net/blog/2008/10/08/first-meeting-with-future-engineers-at-fenway-high-school

Very exciting, thanks for posting it! We should get your blog on
planet.sugarlabs.org.

> Note that the Fenway has pretty  new computers so I'm not as worried about
> Fedora not booting or running out of RAM.
>
> I have a few of the kids from the "Future Engineers" club set up with a SLAX
> USB.  I'd like to go back in 2 or 3 weeks with a Sugar USB for them to play
> with.  Do you think that is a feasible time table?

Yeah, I hope so.

> Here is my wish list:
>
> Bootable Sugar USB

I made another iteration on it. This one seem to work pretty well on a
256M box. Memory usage is similar to Sugar on the XO.

http://www.sugarlabs.org/~marco/sugar-livecd-1marco.iso

There are only a few activities on it, but I'd appreciate testing.
Making sure the system works properly would be a big step forward.

Do you have access to a Fedora linux box to be able to create the liveusb?

> Boot Helper CD

Do you have any pointer about this? I can look at it and see what it
would take to make it work with Fedora liveusb.

> Instructions on how to add an Apps such as GIMP

Sugar support for normal desktop applications is suboptimal at the
moment. We are working to address it properly in this release cycle.
Admittedly GIMP is probably the hardest application to handle, because
of his unusual windows model.

In the meantime it's possible to use the X activity to run gimp:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/X_Activity

And yeah writing instructions of how to get gimp to work using this
approach should not be hard.

> A Jabber Server for them to collaborate (nice to have)

David might have better insight than me on this one, since he is
working on sorting out Sugar Labs infrastructure. OLPC is also working
on setting up a server I think, so using that one is another
possibility.

> A plan for how they can give feedback to the Sugar community in a useful,
> nonintrusive way.

I'd like to hear everyone thoughts about this but personally I
wouldn't mind at all to have them open tickets about the problems they
find with the software. Less specific feedback like impressions or
feature requests could go in the wiki:

http://sugarlabs.org/go/Request_New_Features

Marco