[sugar] notes from the field - Mongolia

Erik Garrison erik
Wed Oct 8 14:11:04 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 06:14:16PM +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Erik Garrison <erik at laptop.org> wrote:
> > In my mind the fundamental problem is that users aren't required to
> > fully qualify names for their work.  Doing so seems to lie outside of
> > one of the core points of Sugar's design ("There are no files, folders,
> > or applications." -- http://sugarlabs.org/go/Main_Page).  Is it
> > conceivable that we could change this feature of the system in future
> > releases to clarify data management on Sugar-running XOs?
>
> You keep repeating this and it makes no sense. As Eben said we need to
> encourage people to tag and name things. Saying that it's outside the
> Sugar philosophy is nonsense.

I read "there are no files ..." to mean that requiring a user to name
something before storing it for later retrieval is outside Sugar design
philosophy.

"Named chunk of data" is pretty much the definition of a computer file.
So if we're asking users to name their chunks of data to address a
usability problem, aren't we just asking them to engage in file
management?  Can we do this and still abide by the "no files" principle?

Erik