[sugar] notes from the field - Mongolia

Bastien bastienguerry
Tue Oct 7 12:23:30 EDT 2008

"Marco Pesenti Gritti" <mpgritti at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Erik Garrison <erik at laptop.org> wrote:
>> In my mind the fundamental problem is that users aren't required to
>> fully qualify names for their work.  Doing so seems to lie outside of
>> one of the core points of Sugar's design ("There are no files, folders,
>> or applications." -- http://sugarlabs.org/go/Main_Page).  Is it
>> conceivable that we could change this feature of the system in future
>> releases to clarify data management on Sugar-running XOs?
>
> You keep repeating this and it makes no sense. As Eben said we need to
> encourage people to tag and name things. Saying that it's outside the
> Sugar philosophy is nonsense.

I think we could have two modes: the one Sugar currently uses, where no
specific name is required to store a journal entry, and one in which the
user is required to name the journal entry when the activity is storing
it for the first time.

For example, in the first mode Atl-1 would do a screenshot as it does
right now.  In the second mode Alt-1 would bring up a window querying
for the name of the screenshot.

Whether users are encouraged or not to actually name and tags things
on the XO can be influence by such UI features - no?

--
Bastien