[sugar] Release schedule and process

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Tue May 13 12:32:08 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we need to decouple the release cycles between activities and
>  Sugar to whatever degree possible. Activities should be able to change
>  at whatever pace is dictated by the activity developers. Since
>  activities depend upon Sugar, the Sugar schedule needs to be more
>  predictable. The only time it seems there would be a conflict is when
>  an incompatible change in a Sugar module is made, which, with the
>  emerging process, is hopefully rare and well known in advance.
>
>  Note that the above says nothing about what constitutes a "core"
>  activity. But we do want to make sure we are not leaving activity
>  developers in the dust as we make changes. Sugar without activities is
>  not very interesting.

I agree that limiting the number of components released as a whole
brings important benefits. I think that the idea of releasing some
activities as part of Sugar is because they provide "services" that
are considered a basic part of the user experience inside Sugar. I
think this is the reason why GNOME releases applications along with
"desktop components"?

Regards,

Tomeu