No subject

bogus at does.not.exist.com bogus at does.not.exist.com
Mon May 12 07:21:16 EDT 2008

saves things in Open Document and they cannot be decoded at reception.  I
have Gmail, I can attach a Journal article/item to Gmail (or Yahoo mail) but
it will not transfer in readable language....it arrives only in code.
I, like most users, am not code-savvy.  I dont dare work in Terminal or any
activity where my ineptness could cause a breakdown I couldnt correct.  I
dont dare try to update to a newer build on my own.
The 3rd-worlders may not tell you about this problem because they haven't
gotten this far yet, but they will.
You have discussed putting a toolbar in Browse.  That would be wonderful,
not only for a search bar, but for items like Save and Send Link.  One could
save individual pages, not just the entire Browse activity for the day.
Eventually Tinymail would work if it transferred in the same language as
sent.  In simplest form the problem now is how to get data in plain English
from the Journal to Gmail to another computer.  Perhaps this would not be
difficult to resolve.
Appreciatively,
Val Stansfield

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:36 PM, J.M. Maurer <uwog at uwog.net> wrote:
> >

> >  On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 09:26 -0700, ValS wrote:
> >  > Thanks for this wonderful program!  Speaking as an XO user, I am
> >  > requesting a feature that I imagine would benefit any users that have
> >  > internet access.   I would like to be able to use the Write function,
> >  > and then send what  I have written in an email as an attachment.
>  That
> >  > way, I can send it to others, send it to a computer with a printer,
> >  > and use the written material  in various ways, even as a book.  So is
> >  > there a chance of compatibility between the Write (and other)
> >  > functions and the Browse (where we can access email)?
> >
> >  If there is any service on the XO that can send email, then this would
> >  be trivial to add to Write. Isn't there a Google SoC application this
> >  year to create an an email thing based on tinymail for the XO ?
>
> Interesting. When I read this the first time, I only considered the
> approach of first opening an email interface (for instance, Gmail in
> Browse) and then selecting a file from the Journal to attach to it.  I
> hadn't considered wanting to send the document I'm *currently working
> on* to someone else as an attachment.
>
> One reason for this might be due to the fact that we *do* plan to add
> a "send to..." option to the palette/toolbar for each activity, to
> allow direct file transfers between people running Sugar.  Perhaps
> there is a place in here somewhere for "mail to..." as well?  Or,
> perhaps under send to it's possible to select an individual, or a
> group, or an *activity* (!) which could then take some action based
> upon what it was given.  By selecting an email activity, it could
> generate a new draft message and automatically attach the file.
>
> - Eben

------=_Part_5408_26510673.1210613692709

Thanks for all the input.&nbsp; We are exited to be a small part of this great movement!&nbsp; But I dont believe our problem has been fully understood.&nbsp; I see it is not only first-world users that will access the internet.&nbsp; You are talking about schoolservers in Nepal etc. getting the kids online.&nbsp; This is wonderful.&nbsp; But the 3rd world kids will have the same problem we first worlders are having....inability to send webpages - or written articles, or drawings - across the net to others.&nbsp; Or to receive them.&nbsp; I&#39;m sure the children will want this function once they are adept.&nbsp; <br>