[sugar] GVFS, OLPC, and GIT ?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff
Tue Mar 25 15:46:54 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>  |> sufficiently generic to encompass multiple versions.  I do not fully
>  |> grasp the layering between GIO and GVFS.

Be aware that GIO/GVFS are very high level. In other words, they work
for the Gnome guys because they don't realise that not all the world
links to libgnome ;-)

zip and tar and rsync and amanda won't work with them. Any modern
program will break trying to use a GIO/GVFS "mount" as their location
of storage. Moderately modern interfaces like mmap - that you need to
work on advanced filehandling, for example in image manipulation
programs - don't work either.

I expect GVFS to work well for file copy, move and for basic file
viewers, not for a real read/write application.

>  |> What would you do, if you were trying to provide a version-controlled
>  |> datastore as a desktop service?

Hmmm. See my notes here in a somewhat similar discussion -
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-March/012047.html

>  | * Have some kind of operation that takes a versioned filesystem mount
>  | (globally) to a different version.

Look at git-fuse.

>  | * Expose multiple versions of the same file/directory using different
>  | names. For example each directory could have a ".history" subdirectory
>  | with files like .history/?<filename>/<version> which is a historic
>  | version of <filename>.

I think git fuse also has similar ideas.

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions