[sugar] GSoC 2008- Importance of Typing Tutor

Prakhar Agarwal prakhar.jiit
Fri Mar 21 17:50:39 EDT 2008

Hello Samuel,
Yes I'm applying for GSoC this time. Though it will be first time but I'm
confident. I'll divulge more details about my surveys and progress until now
in my application.
Well, I would love to take up all the 3 tutors: Typing, Speaking as well as
Handwriting. But I don't think they all can be implemented during 3 months.
Once i finish Typing Tutor, my next target will be Speaking Tutor.
Initially, I thought of Speaking Tutor as my GSoC project, but then i
noticed that Typing Tutor is missing. So, I'll first implement Typing Tutor
and then Speaking Tutor. Dont worry about these tutors anymore, its my job
now!! :)
I developed the typing tutor in 5 weeks and the text editor in 3.5 weeks
considering the busy schedules. Both were developed in C language which i
learned a month before i started developing these applications which went on
to be regarded as best projects.

I plan to develop this typing tutor in the form of a game to make it
attractive and fun-filled for everyone. I would like to give a brief mention
about my gameplan for this summer. Detailed Roadmap will be included in my
application.
In my course of action, i plan to achieve these milestones:-

I'll first familiarize myself with the development environment for a few
days. Is this acceptable? I'm a quick learner with passion to learn anything
under the sun. I'll equip myself with all the necessary technologies for the
task ahead. I look forward to GSoC as a excellent learning experience and a
platform for building strong association with OLPC.

Secondly, I'll study the existing typing tutors and generate new ideas,
although, I'm already doing that.

Thirdly, I'll breakdown the whole project in modules that would be in
accordance with the amount of time required for each module.

Main Modules would be:
1. Design- stress point would be to identify all the required features.

2. Implement- coding the tutor.

3. Testing/Debugging- identifying possible bottlenecks, flaws and getting
feedback.

4. Re-Design/Improvement Phase- based on results from testing, this module
alongwith the testing module will require the longest duration of time in
comparison to others.

5. Final Execution- this phase will produce the final tutor.

This is the rough idea i have shared with you all.

I'm open to your comments.
Cheers & Regards,