[sugar] storing Activity parameters

Gary C Martin gary
Sat Mar 15 20:12:41 EDT 2008

>> I just wanted to follow up on this activity preference storage idea
>> from a few weeks ago, with some working code, as I've finally got
>> around to writing/testing and all appears to work well. Feedback
>> appreciated if I'm doing something dubious here. Activity defaults
>> are
>> hard coded, then overwritten by a persistent file (if it exists),
>> then
>> overwritten by a call to read_file (if the activity was started from
>> the journal):
>>
> Yes, I like it a lot. Just would suggest using json instead of
> cpickle. It should be as easy but would give you human readable files
> that can also be read easily from other languages.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tomeu

Thanks Tomeu. OK. almost there with the json change (just need to test
the changes properly). I must admit to just trusting your wise and
noble intentions on this one ;-) json seems kind'a darkmatter from
where I'm sitting, not standard in the official Python distributions
(though it has been included in the default sugar python modules),
close to zero useful documentation out there (other than a few pretty
pictures) and few actual python examples (thank goodness for the
ability to reverse engineer web activity and some rather obscure class
docs in pydoc). I guess because it's so trivial to those who already
use it, no one's written much about it (I think some wiki time is
approaching). Probably an irrelevant change for my current usage, but
may make sense if someone with larger, potentially valuable, data
storage copies from my source. ~1hr less beer time tonight, I'm sure
my liver will thank you later :-)