[sugar] Browse's download progress/notification UI

Bert Freudenberg bert
Mon Mar 10 13:32:37 EDT 2008

On Mar 10, 2008, at 17:13 , Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Bert Freudenberg
> <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> On Mar 9, 2008, at 13:29 , Martin Dengler wrote:
>>
>>> Random UI feedback:
>>>
>>> I saw some trac/wiki/IRC discussion where eben mentions the
>>> decisions
>>> around non-modal dialogs and cites (among other things) the download
>>> progress/notification UI in Browse.
>>>
>>> Every time it comes up, I think: this UI is great.  It doesn't get
>>> in
>>> my way but gives me valuable information about something I will act
>>> on, at some point, in a way that best fits with the
>>> I-might-interrupt-my-browsing-to-use-this-or-I-may-launch-from-the-
>>> journal-later
>>> uncertainty/problem that Browse downloads present.
>>>
>>> Nice little feature.
>>
>> I love the download bar in the Journal view, too. How could an
>> activity author use this?
>
> Hi Bert,
>
> you can mark a journal entry as in-progress using the 'progress'
> property with an integer value less than 100.
>
> Example in Browse:
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=web-activity;a=blob;f=downloadmanager.py;h=b8a2ff69c0696c7531efe929baea891620786c7e;hb=HEAD#l236
>
> And you can know when the user canceled the in-progress entry by
> listening to the Deleted signal:
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=web-activity;a=blob;f=downloadmanager.py;h=b8a2ff69c0696c7531efe929baea891620786c7e;hb=HEAD#l262
>
> Do you think this is ready to become public API? Any suggestions?

That API is public enough for me, it just needed to be documented:
	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Low-level_Activity_API#Progress_Display

But it would be a valuable addition to the next DS design to allow
incremental saving, that is, "streaming" into the file held by a
journal entry without having to create a potentially big temp file
first.

Is there any error handling - like, if the activity crashes in the
middle of downloading?

- Bert -