[sugar] Browse's download progress/notification UI

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Mon Mar 10 12:13:29 EDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2008, at 13:29 , Martin Dengler wrote:
>
>  > Random UI feedback:
>  >
>  > I saw some trac/wiki/IRC discussion where eben mentions the decisions
>  > around non-modal dialogs and cites (among other things) the download
>  > progress/notification UI in Browse.
>  >
>  > Every time it comes up, I think: this UI is great.  It doesn't get in
>  > my way but gives me valuable information about something I will act
>  > on, at some point, in a way that best fits with the
>  > I-might-interrupt-my-browsing-to-use-this-or-I-may-launch-from-the-
>  > journal-later
>  > uncertainty/problem that Browse downloads present.
>  >
>  > Nice little feature.
>
>  I love the download bar in the Journal view, too. How could an
>  activity author use this?

Hi Bert,

you can mark a journal entry as in-progress using the 'progress'
property with an integer value less than 100.

Example in Browse:

http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=web-activity;a=blob;f=downloadmanager.py;h=b8a2ff69c0696c7531efe929baea891620786c7e;hb=HEAD#l236

And you can know when the user canceled the in-progress entry by
listening to the Deleted signal:

http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=web-activity;a=blob;f=downloadmanager.py;h=b8a2ff69c0696c7531efe929baea891620786c7e;hb=HEAD#l262

Do you think this is ready to become public API? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tomeu