[Sugar-devel] About the default ogg player in sugar

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 11:04:47 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 2:03 AM, Kushal Das <kushaldas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 1:09 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> [changed to sugar-devel at sugarlabs.org]
>
>> will try to set aside some time tomorrow for playing with your
>> activity, but in the meantime, what's your personal opinion on this?
>> Is there anything that worked better in Sugar without Jukebox? Which
>> are the biggest issues in Jukebox right now and where do you plan to
>> work next?
>>

> About anything worked better in Sugar without the Jukebox, I don't
> have much idea on that. Can not find any such difference.
>
> Biggest  issues in Jukebox:
>  * The volume control button goes to highest position if someone
> clicks on it after changing the volume once
>  * Catching the keypress events properly, currently if you fullscreen
> and then come back , spacebar stops working to control the play/pause
>     Focus on the correct widget is the problem I guess.

Yeah, this one's pretty important to fix.

>  * Currently if some one double click on the jukebox icon fast , it
> opens two instances of Jukebox, it should always check if any running
> instance is there, if not then only start. Do we have any existing
> logic to handle this situation ?

This is *not* something an activity should have to worry about.  I
think 8.2 addresses this; if not, it's still something that should be
fixed in the shell.

> TODO:
>  * Drag and drop media objects from Frame

Nice idea.

>  * Option to open any other media file while it is running
>  * Playlist making and editing support

This relates to Journal support somewhat.  One question is: "Are there
proper instances of this activity?".  In other words, can you keep
individual jukeboxes in the Journal, with meaningful differences.  I
say yes, actually.  I think that a given jukebox might actually *be* a
playlist.  You could create one jukebox instance for dance, another
for classical, etc.

>  * Screenshot support
>  * journal support

I don't think we can support an app (especially by making it a
default) without proper Journal support. I would push that up in
priority.

>  * Collaboration support

Awesome.  I'm curious to hear what you have in mind for collaboration.
 One of my earlier brainstorms on an audio activity — DJ — revolved
around the idea that anyone could join to hear the audio stream (but
wouldn't have any control....it would just be like tuning to a radio
station).

I'll try to find some time to give this a shot on my XO soon.  It
looks exciting.

- Eben