[Sugar-devel] About the default ogg player in sugar

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Thu Dec 18 12:45:33 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 11:04:47AM -0500, Eben Eliason wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 2:03 AM, Kushal Das <kushaldas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  * Collaboration support
>
>Awesome.  I'm curious to hear what you have in mind for collaboration.
> One of my earlier brainstorms on an audio activity — DJ — revolved
>around the idea that anyone could join to hear the audio stream (but
>wouldn't have any control....it would just be like tuning to a radio
>station).

I imagine several degrees of collaboration, changeable by the owner:

1) Listen

2) Add at the end of playlist

3) Add/remove/rearrange playlist, except currently active song

4) Full access to playlist, including start/pause/stop

5) Full access to playlist + read access to its media files

Technically I imagine 1) best done by multicasting a stream, and each
peer getting info on the stream URL.

Personally I have (with MPD and some ugly hacks) used a combination of
1), 2) and 3) for small private parties I have thrown in last couple of
years: Multiple pools of amp+speakers with 1), and a few consoles with
2) to allow all party-goers to collaborate on selecting music, while a
single DJ is "king" and can reject or reorder such requests queueing up.
When the DJ goes home (or gets too drunk) then access is switched to 3)
to let anyone be semi-DJ without breaking a song already started.

(no, to be honest my setup switched to 4) when the DJ "stepped down from
the throne" - which caused frequent interruptions by inexperienced and
drunk semi-DJs, ruining the dance floor).

The ability to do 1) is important: The classic setup with few
loudspeakers means that the sound level in the room (expecially when
standing close to them) is too loud to chat. Many smaller loudspeakers
spread out keeps the general volume down.

  - Jonas

- --