[Sugar-devel] Help (was Re: Working math graphs/plots)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Dec 18 06:54:07 EST 2008

On 18.12.2008, at 02:23, Wade Brainerd wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Gary C Martin
> <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> 1) Add a standard help icon to every activities activity tab which
> brings up a modal sugarised dialogue box with a (scrollable) text
> view.
>
> I have something like this in Finance.  It's modeless and it's
> context sensitive with regard to the 'screen' of the activity.  It
> can be toggled by a button in the Activity toolbar.  It was really
> an experiment to try and help people get through some of the complex
> financial terminology, but it needs some more work.
>
> For more detailed help, I would consider adding a 'More' button to
> the help box, that when clicked would extend the box down to cover
> the rest of the screen, and show a scrolling rich-text guide to the
> activity.

Etoys also has the help icon in its standard tool bar. It is not a
context-sensitive help, but a series of quick guides to various basic
topics regarding the Etoys UI.

> I would add an Option 4:
>
> 4) Add a help icon to the Activity toolbar which launches Browse,
> displaying an HTML guide to the activity.

No go. An activity still can not launch another activity directly.

Many people have been begging for this for a long time, but the answer
is basically "won't fix". The latest cheesy and cumbersome workaround
is redirecting the user to the Journal:

https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/4909

I still am gasping at how this ticket could have been marked "fixed".

> Either way, it sounds like a lot more work for the translators.

Indeed. But we'll have to bite that bullet.

- Bert -