[Sugar-devel] Cairo performance (was Re: SVG performance)

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 20:44:41 EST 2008

I'm assuming that these SVGs are rendered at initialization time into
bitmaps using Cairo.

But either way, I think there is a big performance problem with Cairo on the
XO.  I see it again and again in my activities, so far in Bounce, Typing
Turtle and even Yay! Bee See; drawing simple shapes and images with Cairo
seems to always kill interactivity.

In Bounce I had to switch to custom gdk.Image based code in a C extension.
I would have done PyGame except it doesn't allow for GTK widgets.

I would like to see someone try getting in touch with Carl Worth (
www.cworth.org) and ask him to look at Cairo performance on an XO.  I've
tried contacting him in the past but not gotten a response.  It might be
that we need to switch to an integer-only version, enable some optimization
flags, or something similarly simple.

-Wade