[Sugar-devel] [sugar] XO identity shared via Browse

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Thu Dec 4 19:19:06 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Robert McQueen
<robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> I really don't think these kind of comments are productive for anyone.
[...]
> However, I'm not interested in participating (therefore I have not done
> so) in participating in discussions about collaboration on Sugar which
> a) ignore everything we've done so far, and b) contain fallacies such as:
>  * Given a working IPv6 network, we...
>  * Given a global DNS hirachy of school servers, we...
>  * ...

Whoa, there.  Please don't drag me into this, and force me to rebut.
We have a perfectly working link-local IPv6 network on every
deployment we've ever fielded.  And you (further on in your email)
state "so provided the school server actually has a unique DNS name,
we're all set." which sounds suspiciously like your second "fallacy".

We've had a fruitful discussion of
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Network_principles in the past, and you made
several good suggestions which I integrated.  I don't think the
"Network principles" proposal is "anti" the current networking stack
at all; it just clarifies what networking situations we will attempt
to provide and support, and does a little bit to decouple presence
from the rest of the collaboration stack.

I hope your email was written in the heat of passion only, and doesn't
reflect a fundamental misunderstanding.  I was accused of having some
personal malicious intent towards Collabora multiple times during
Sugarcamp, and it's rather dreary to have to keep insisting that it's
just not so.  If we need to clarify further, let's do so in order that
we can continue working together productively -- but perhaps not on
this particular thread, which is perhaps currently too hot for
reasonable discourse.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )