[sugar] Could someone test the Home search entry...?

Simon Schampijer simon
Fri Aug 29 05:56:48 EDT 2008

Eben Eliason wrote:
> Hello all -
>
> I've recently experienced some very buggy behavior with the search
> entry in Home in my jhbuild (master).  I want to ensure that this gets
> properly tested in the upcoming joyride build (as I'll be moving/on
> vacation myself), so I'm going to leave a couple test cases here for
> someone to take on.
>
> 1. Switch to the list view of Home and enter 'bro' into the search
> entry.  The Browse activity should turn up as the only result in the
> filtered list.
> 2. Append a nonsense string to your search eg. 'broasdf'.  If all goes
> well, you should have an empty list, though in my jhbuild testing,
> Browse remained visible.
> 3. Clear the search entry (select text and delete, or click the little
> 'x' button within the entry).  The full list of installed activities
> should return.  In my jhbuild testing, nothing could be done to
> restore the full list.
>
> If the above all work as expected, please verify the test case
> attached to http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7874 as well.
>
> Finally, if this is all verified as working in joyride, it's probably
> still worth testing on the master branch in jhbuild, since I can't
> seem to get it to work there.  Oddly, I tried reverting both sugar and
> sugar-toolkit to the last commits on August 13th (the day I submitted
> the patch attached to the aforementioned ticket, at which time that
> test case DID work fine in jhbuild), but the problem remained after
> rebuilding.  Perhaps git just hates me.
>
> In any case, thanks for testing for me!  If this IS broken, I nominate
> it as a blocker for 8.2.0, since it's easy to trigger a search, and
> impossible to clear it to reveal all installed activities, thus making
> it impossible to set favorites or launch some activities at all
> without a reboot.
>
> - Eben

Eben I think a simple explanation is that there is old code in master :)

def __entry_activated_cb(self, entry):
         if self._autosearch_timer:
             gobject.source_remove(self._autosearch_timer)
	new_query = entry.props.text
         if self._query != new_query and new_query is not '':

That part should not be there:
and new_query is not '':

And maybe other parts as well. Will have a look once d.l.o is up again
and verify your test case for master.

Enjoy your holidays,
    Simon