[sugar] Obtaining Buddy objects as contacts are encountered

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie
Mon May 14 10:08:28 EDT 2007

Summarizing some more issues discussed offline and in #sugar.

The difficult case for me at the moment is when a new person, who we don't know
anything about, turns up in our (public) Tubes channel and joins a tube.

Protocol constraints:
=====================

In the XMPP implementation, they are deemed to have joined the
channel when they join the chat-room on the server (when we first
receive a presence message for them that came through the room), and they are
deemed to have joined the Tube when we first receive a presence message
for them that indicates that they are in the Tube.

The only identifying information we have in the presence message is their
JID, e.g. 87654321f00d1234deadbeef at conference.olpc.collabora.co.uk on the
test server. This is presented in the Telepathy API as the contact's "handle",
which is a small integer used as an abstraction for all protocols' ideas of
unique identifiers.

The PS currently constructs JIDs by taking the hex SHA-1 of the public key,
but it appears this is intended to be an internal implementation detail
only, so we shouldn't rely on this (and neuralis doesn't want SHA-1 to
be used for anything cryptographically significant, which is fair enough).
Because this generates very unfriendly JIDs, we can't use the JID as a
fall-back or a unique ID in the user interface like we would on the desktop
(seeing a contact called bob.smith at example.com is useful, seeing a contact
called 87654321f00d1234deadbeef is unhelpful).

To find out the buddy's public key and real name (their immutable
identity) and their colour, avatar and nickname (their mutable
identity) we have to query the server, which takes network round-trips,
which might be slow and should be done asynchronously.

On the mesh contacts are again identified by Telepathy handles; this
time the handles represent mesh-specific unique IDs (nickname + "@" + IP
address, I think). The protocol hasn't been fully designed yet, but I expect it
to be "fast" (round-trip-free) to retrieve the name, nick, colour and server
JID, and probably "slow" to retrieve the public key and avatar, which are both
larger.

The message flow inside the Tube is a D-Bus connection, in which
participants are identified by unique bus name (in our case these are
randomly generated). The Telepathy API provides a mapping between
Telepathy handles and unique names. As soon as someone has a unique
name, they are a full participant in the tube and can send and receive
D-Bus messages.

Because we trust the server and (in future) have an encrypted and
authenticated connection to it, there is no additional encryption -
unencrypted Base64 messages flow through the server.

On the mesh the problem is probably easier - because there's no trusted
server, setting up a secure connection requires key negotiation in any
case.

Requirements:
=============

Buddy objects
- -------------
To avoid forcing activity authors to deal with Telepathy handles
directly, we want to provide a map between unique bus names and Buddy
objects, so the activity author can just deal with those.

Ordering
- --------
To allow the network protocol to be relatively simple, we want the
order of D-Bus messages in the tube to be guaranteed in the same way it is on
a normal, daemon-based bus - namely, that everyone sees broadcast
messages (signals) arriving in the same order, and that all the messages
coming from a particular peer can be received in the same order they're
sent in.

Key as unique ID
- ----------------
Dan requires that the Buddy be uniquely identified by
its public key and no Buddy object may be created until the public key is
known. This is part of the current PS architecture.

No undetected eavesdropping
- ---------------------------
(A softer requirement)

Users should be able to tell when someone can receive their messages
(and preferably who that someone is, but failing that it's useful to be able
to tell that some as-yet unknown person has joined). Consider the
case where Alice invites Bob to join the channel without Chris' knowledge,
and Chris says something Bob wasn't meant to see having not realised Bob has
already joined.

Possible solutions
==================

Advantages/disadvantages marked +/-. Having thought these over, I quite
like "Newcomer broadcasts key", which isn't a solution I'd thought of
before writing this email, so I've put that one first.

Newcomer broadcasts key
- -----------------------
When the new contact joins, they broadcast their key. Everyone else
observes it and uses it to create a Buddy object if necessary. Until the
key broadcast has been done, one of the other solutions (block the tube?
drop their messages? buddy is None?) is used. Optionally, they could
include their colour, nick and other small, useful things in the key
broadcast.

This could either be done inside each Tube (this would prevent activities
from using an existing D-Bus protocol completely unchanged inside a
Tube), in a special-purpose Tube (service name org.laptop.Tubes.BuddyInfo
or something - I'd prefer this option), or in the Tubes channel outside
any Tube (this would require a Telepathy spec extension).

+ in Salut the "key broadcast" might be synthesized by the CM since it
  must already have the key in order to create the channel/tube
+ could be used as a basis for encrypted tubes in a future Telepathy
  spec version? (an advantage for the community rather than for OLPC, really)
- - unnecessary broadcast if everyone in the channel already has the
  newcomer's key (n people joining a channel only cause O(n) traffic
  though, and the key isn't huge)
- - they can eavesdrop undetected until their identity is found, unless
  the action taken until the broadcast prevents this

Drop ordering
- -------------
Drop the Ordering requirement. When a new contact joins
a tube, defer processsing all their messages until their identity can be
discovered.

- - writing robust protocols becomes hard
- - eavesdropping possible
- - it's hard to include the new contact in the UI as an "anonymous" grey XO
  or something

Blocked tube
- ------------
When a new contact joins a tube (or possibly a tubes channel),
you stop processing all tube messages in that tube/channel (by
detaching its fd from the main loop) until finding out the contact's identity
has either succeeded or failed (if it fails, they can be shown in the UI
as some sort of anonymous buddy - this would happen if an ordinary XMPP
client joined, for instance).

+ conceptually very simple
+ the new contact can't eavesdrop on messages, if the blocking is
  channel-wide
- - suspending processing for the tube or channel may not be easy or even
  possible in all bindings (this can of course be fixed by writing code)
- - easy DoS in public channels - just join and don't reply to
  identity-finding messages

Ack required
- ------------
When a new contact joins a tube/channel, all messages from
them in that tube/all tubes in the channel are dropped until all existing
contacts in the tube/channel have acknowledged them. Existing contacts will
only acknowledge the new contact when finding their identity has either failed
or succeeded.

+ conceptually quite simple
- - the unID'd client can eavesdrop in the meantime
- - n people joining an empty channel cause O(n^2) broadcast messages and
  O(n^3) traffic

buddy is None
- -------------
When a new contact joins a tube/channel, their buddy
object is None until their identity can be discovered. It's up to the
activity how to deal with this - it could defer messages, implement an
activity-specific protocol with acknowledgements required, or whatever.
The application author knows what protocol they're implementing, so
knows whether deferring messages is safe.

+ trivial to implement in the PS
+ UI immediately shows that *someone*'s joined
- - moves the burden onto application authors, and there are more of them
  than PS authors

JID as unique ID
- ----------------
Drop the "key as unique ID" requirement. Look up Buddy objects by JID -
then we can immediately know whether to create a new Buddy object and
use an existing one.

+ A good fit for what's going on at the protocol level, so easy to
  implement
+ Matches the behaviour expected from non-OLPC clients, so will be
  familiar to desktop IM developers
- - Major conceptual change to the Presence Service may break things
- - You still don't have their public key until some later point

Comments? Questions? Complaints? Additional requirements I haven't
addressed or should think about?

	Simon