[sugar] Re: trial1 software page

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Tue Mar 6 16:27:33 EST 2007

Hello,

I went over the trial1 plan with both Eben and Tomeu and I put together
a TODO list for Sugar on the base of their feedback.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Trial1_TODO

There are two big high level decisions that we need to make:

1 Use the journal prototype we have developed or a file based model.
2 Try to integrate the new presence service Dan and Collabora are
working on, and base a simple chat on it.

I think we should aim at a feature freeze on 20 March.

Given the time frame I think 2 is out of question. We didn't even start
integrating the new backend with the UI yet.

I've been putting a lot of thinking in 1, and, for how much I hate the
fact, I think it's too late for it. You can get a sense of the work that
would be necessary in the TODO. The clipboard stuff in particular would
need a lot of work to be usable. And even more importantly the journal
prototype code is very recent and untested. Finally the images are not
quite stable yet (network connection issues, login screen issues...) and
stabilizing should be our very first priority.

What I propose is:

* Branch sugar and the activities which will need Trial1 specific
changes, so that Journal and presence service development can continue.
* Get the features required for Trials1 in asap.
* Go in bug fix only mode as soon as the features are implemented and
definitely not after 20 March.

With this plan I think we will have to drop a few features that are part
of the Trial1 page (but not as absolutely required):

* Deleting files
* Renaming files
* Browser bookmarks
* Copy of text snippets from web browser to write activity

Anyway, this is my thinking. Let me know what you think about it!

And feel free to comment on the TODO page, I think it reflects the
Trial1 page but there are a few minor design/implementation questions
that needs to be addressed.

Marco