[sugar] python performance

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Tue Mar 6 07:59:38 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 12:53 +0000, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
>    > We don't, but it would be useful to have one. I think the biggest
>    > priority are in order:
>
>    > * Browser perfomance especially page scrolling (not related to
>    > python at all but...)
>    > * Activities startup time.
>
> Just as a minor point, I'd swap these two in priority.  Our activity
> load time is much more frustrating to me as a user than the web browser
> render time, possibly because the web browser does incremental reflows.
> (Which may in fact be the source of the performance problem..)

I'm not talking much about reflowing here but about page scrolling,
which is horribly slow on complex web sites, even when the page is fully
loaded. Both this and startup are pretty critical issues anyway :/

>    > Just testing random stuff out is quite painful atm though, for
>    > compiled code. I usually build on my box and then copy over the
>    > changed bin/library. I think we really need an image with
>    > development tools on it.
>
> I somewhat agree, but as a side note `yum install make gcc gcc-c++` is
> sufficient to turn your XO into a (slow) python build host, once yum
> (slowly) finishes running.  :)

I didn't dare suggesting the yum thing since everyone is complaining
about how slow and painful it is :)

Marco