[sugar] Docs?

Ryan Pavlik abiryan
Tue Jul 31 20:35:21 EDT 2007

I am certainly not an OLPC rep, but what I have seen suggests that the
intent is for the machines to be self-instructing and not requiring
documentation.  In addition to the massive translation demands that
would require, it also does not coincide with the educational
theories/practices that the organization is pursuing.

Of course, if you want to make developer documentation, then I think
anyone's answer would be, dive in! :)  Just ask which regions are stable
first so your work doesn't get obsoleted quickly.

Ryan

Edward Cherlin wrote:
> Is there any plan for official software documentation? I have been a
> Senior Tech Writer for the last 10 years and would be delighted to
> work on it (particularly if someone like Red Hat would support me to
> do it 60 hours a week *<{%-{]}}} <--Goggle-eyed geek in clown hat,
> moustache, and full beard). Actually, I have been writing about XO
> software off and on ever since the Dynabook days, when Xerox licensed
> Smalltalk to Apple, HP, and others in 1981, during my market research
> period.
>
> For example, I wrote in a study of so-called educational software back
> then that the overpriced drill-and-practice programs of the time
> weren't real educational software, and that what children need is
> sharp tools to do stuff with. Commercial educational software is still
> a vast wasteland, with a few honorable exceptions. Then I did a study
> on Personal Instruments (data acquisition and analysis on PCs), and
> some other reports that touched on education. Besides starting and
> managing a software project for math for schools. And a few other things.
>
> I have a button that says, "Stop me before I volunteer again," but it
> doesn't help. [sigh]
>
> --
> Edward Cherlin
> Earth Treasury: End Poverty at a Profit
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Earth_Treasury
> WIRE AFRICA  http//www.wireafrica.org/
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/cherlin

Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer, Art Lead: www.abisource.com
AbiWord Community Outreach Project: www.cleardefinition.com/oss/abi/blog/

"Optimism is the father that leads to achievement."
 -- Helen Keller

"The folder structure in a modern Linux distribution such as Ubuntu
was largely inspired by the original UNIX foundations that were
created by men with large beards and sensible jumpers."
 -- Jono Bacon, The Ubuntu Guide