[sugar] Packages needed for Chat Activity?

Morgan Collett morgan.collett
Mon Jul 2 14:46:19 EDT 2007

Aneto Okonkwo wrote:
> I have installed the chat activity from the git repository
> http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=chat-activity but I am having difficulty
> running it because it appears that I am missing some select packages.
> For example, I receive errors for modules such as ActivityToolbox,
> Telepathy, etc.  I installed python-telepathy and that seemed to help
> but I havent been able to discover the rest of them.  Can someone please
> send me a list of all the necessary packages.

What are you trying to run it on? Chat works on sugar jhbuild, and
requires a relatively up to date sugar and presenceservice (certainly
newer than build 406 if you are running on an XO or emulation).

> I am trying to learn the code of the chat-activity to reuse some of the
> models for a multiplayer portion of a learning game I am working on.  If
> someone can suggest an alternative existing activity to learn this from
> that would be helpful as well.  Thanks

Chat uses a text channel, so you can send text back and forth. For more
sophisticated collaboration, we have D-Bus tubes, which allow signals
and method calls.

See projects/hellomesh in git for an example of tubes.

Ask if you need help :)

Regards
Morgan