[sugar] Sharing data between activities.

Dan Winship dwinship
Fri Aug 24 08:02:55 EDT 2007

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On 8/24/07, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
>> What I don't know yet is what happens when the user installs a .xol. Is
>> it autoexpanded and new objects are created in the journal from its
>> contents?
>
> Right now the idea is that .xol files will be installed in the
> filesystem. The journal will keep the original .xol file (or a
> reference to his installation at some point) so that it can be deleted
> and shared.
>
> The spec is here (I didn't write it nor I know the details of it):
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Extended_bundles

Actually, it's http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Content_bundles. I'm not sure
what the "Extended_bundles" page is.

But yes, the plan is that .xol's work basically like .xo's; when you
download it or copy it off a usb key, it gets unzipped into ~/Library.
When you copy it back from the journal to a usb key, it gets re-zipped.
When you delete it from the journal, it gets deleted from ~/Library.

As for security, currently the activity bundle unzipping is done by the
shell service, and library unzipping could be made to happen there too,
so that solves the writing problem. For reading, I think the intention
is just that any activity can read ~/Library/.

-- Dan