[sugar] A Launcher Activity

Carlos Neves cn
Mon Aug 13 19:22:16 EDT 2007

Hello,

One of the things I developed for World Wide Workshop was a launcher
activity, called the MMM Activity Center (MMM stands for MaMaMedia),
which aggregates all relevant activities as a bundle to be launched only
from there, much like etoys does.

Unlike etoys, each activity there is a full blown standalone Sugar
activity, that could very well be launched from the Home view (and in
fact is). The simplicity of this approach in terms of mesh sharing and
journal support tilted us into the current solution.

I'm using bundlebuilder.py to find out if the activities are installed,
which has worked well from the start, except for the fact this
particular file has been a moving target between versions... The current
code checks for it in 3 different locations.

But my actual problem is different. The approach I'm using works on
build 432, by using

--8<--
            handler = activityfactory.create(bundle.get_service_name())
            self._c1 = handler.connect("success",
self._launch_success_cb, handler)
            self._c2 = handler.connect("error", self._launch_error_cb,
handler, idx)
            self.bubble_label.show(_("Loading %s...") % BUBBLE_SET[idx][0])
            self.si.lock()
            c = gtk.gdk.Cursor(gtk.gdk.WATCH)
            self.window.set_cursor(c)
--8<--

The problem with current builds, specifically 542, is twofold:
- the 'success' and 'error' signals no longer exist and
- Home view is brought to front

Looking at the code for the Shell, I see that the notifications are now
only delivered to _shell and it pops itself to front every time an
activity is launched, period.

What I would like to see, although I fully agree with the current
approach for things launched from the Journal or the Mesh, is a way to
avoid showing the Home view and getting the launched and error
notifications under controlled circumstances.

for example,
lib/python2.5/site-packages/sugar/activity/activityfactory.py:create
could take an extra 'listener' argument that was then passed to the
ActivityCreationHandler.
ActivityCreationHandler._launch_activity would call NotifyLaunch not
only on the shell proxy but also on that listener (if not None, of
course) and the same goes for _create_error_handler/NotifyLaunchFailure.
I could use a NotifyLaunchSuccess on top of _create_reply_handler too,
if that's not asking too much :)

This would make the notifications work optionally without the signals,
although implementing signals (again) would work great too. I'm biased
towards this approach because this way the ActivityCreationHandler knows
it should signal the shell in order to not pop up front, but adding an
optional bool on the NotifyLaunch method or something.

Am I being completely unreasonable here? I really think that being able
to aggregate activities outside the Home view is important, as there is
only so much space there, and this Activity Center is actually important
for us.

Best regards,

Carlos Neves
cn at sueste.net