[sugar] packaging Sugar

Jani Monoses jani.monoses
Sat Apr 7 03:40:48 EDT 2007

> What we don't want is to create a situation where, because a certain
> version of Sugar is in a distro, that activity authors start writing
> activities for it even though it's now two or three weeks old.  We're
> not going to break API just because we feel like it, because that makes
> people's lives harder, but there are _no_ API guarantees at this time.

Fair enough. I made some packages but will keep them in an external archive so
they are not frozen when Feisty is released in two weeks.

Right now it's only sugar itself and block party, I may add a few more activities.

after sudo -s

#echo "deb http://startx.ro/sugar feisty misc" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sugar.list

Make sure you have universe enabled as that's where hippocanvas and matchbox are
If you want to avoid missing GPG key warnings from apt then import the key

$wget -O- http://www.startx.ro/jani/gpg.asc|sudo apt-key add -

$sudo apt-get update
$sudo apt-get install sugar-emulator sugar-base-activities

then run sugar-emulator

any other existing activity can be installed from its source dir with
$sudo setup.py install /usr

>> I'll need to figure out how to use the system avahi and network manager as there may be some overlap
>> in what dbus services sugar provides in this area.
>
> Not really; we use NM and Avahi with Sugar on our laptops all the time.
> It will Just Work.  We may start using more NM features and we'll likely
> move to NM 0.7 later this spring too.  That's going to mean that either
> you'll need NM 0.7 in your distro, or something else will have to be
> figured out.

yes both work, I was concerned about files being named similarly and conflicting with
the files installed by the distro (nm conf files for example)
avahi works, nm starts I think but web-activity times out launching.
These I still have to figure out as they're the same with jhbuilt sugar.

Jani