[sugar] Python: distutils, setuptools, packages, etc

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Thu Sep 28 14:46:38 EDT 2006

Ian Bicking wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>> Is there a simple, well written setup.py you would suggest to look at
>> to get an idea of how it might look for an activity? Also trying to
>> actually write something like
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_Activity_Tutorial (the code, not the
>> tutorial) using setuptools could really be interesting.
>
> Whew, those instructions are tricky.  My impression is that you create
> a source layout like:
>
>   MyCode/
>     mycode/__init__.py
>     mycode/mycode.activity
>     mycode/the_actual_code.py
>
> And I guess ultimately "sugar-setup-activity mycode/mycode.activity"
> is called?

Yeah, that's correct.

> Note also you can extend setuptools with more commands; this is what I
> was referring to with "python setup.py olpc_activity", which would
> create whatever kind of bundle OLPC uses.  Obviously this code does
> not exist ;)

Right, that's the code we should write. I'd love if we could set it up
so that the simple setup() call you pasted above is all that you need to
be able to build bundles.

Marco