[sugar] penguintv progress on sugar

Christopher Blizzard blizzard
Sun Oct 29 16:59:55 EST 2006

Owen Williams wrote:
> On my system, pycurl has a 50K python library that links to two 200K
> libcurl libraries as well as other basic system libraries like libkrb.
>
> I think having curl around makes a lot of sense for the olpc because it
> supports threaded downloading, resume, timeouts, forwarding, and other
> http minutia. In an environment where always-on connectivity is not
> guaranteed, the ability to pause and resume downloads is going to be
> crucial.  It may take days or multiple attempts to grab a moderately
> large file, with many false starts and timeouts in between.

That's a good argument.  We should seriously think about libcurl +
pycurl.  The library itself is about 243k on disk.

> As for pylucene, it's 6 megs.  I had picked it because the API is very
> high-level and I didn't need to write much code to get it working.  But
> I can feel that it's meant for larger use-cases.  I don't expect to
> include it on olpc and I'm keeping an eye out for a lighter-weight
> solution.

As Ivan says we might have other ways of handling search.  I have no
experience with any of them, so I don't know if they are good/bad/ugly.

But that's a pretty big library.  Do you need all of it?  That would be
an example of the kind of thing that we probably don't want in the base
system to support a single app.

>> That it is.  We were pretty explicit up front that we're going to
>> include all of Gtk.  There was some discussion of "subsetting" at the
>> embedded GNOME conference, but I think that we should include all of Gtk.
>
> I agree.  Forcing developers to figure out what's supported and what
> isn't will make for frustrated developers.

That was just at the Gtk level.  Not being able to just apt-get your
favorite lib is going to bother people more than any changes to gtk we make.

--Chris