[sugar] shared whiteboard

Robert Staudinger robert.staudinger
Wed Jul 26 07:48:49 EDT 2006

On 7/25/06, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 17:00 +0200, Robert Staudinger wrote:
> > On 7/24/06, Marco Pesenti Gritti <mpg at redhat.com> wrote:

[...]

> > Hmm, on a second thought it might even be possible to build the
> > frontend on gecko, but that would require XBL support. Would it be
> > "allowed" to use such mozilla/gecko specifics?
>
> Well, that might work, but I'd lean more towards non-browser-based
> technologies here, unless you simply wanted to use Gecko as the
> rendering engine.  But if you just want a rendering engine, there are
> better, more application-specific options than Gecko.  Using gecko for
> shared whiteboard is more like a sledgehammer for a finishing nail.
> That said, we're already going to have gecko on the machines anyway.

>From my entirely unscientific "no orange sunglasses involved" p.o.v
I'm thinking that an application that allows writing AND drawing to
the kids' heath content would be cool.
Gecko already goes a long way towards that goal e.g.:
http://www.abisource.com/~robsta/tmp/mozilla/lines-n-shapes.xml
(this is a mashup of samples from [1] embedded in an xhtml document)

Must still figure out how to do that in an editable nsIDOMWindow
though, dynamic stuff seems to be turned off in editing mode. Maybe it
would work making only parts of the document editable and have the
drawing in a non-editable layer above.

And yes, I'd much favour just using gecko as rendering engine. Text
handling is very speedy, graphics unfortunately not (yet?).

[1] http://croczilla.com/svg/samples/

Cheers,
Rob