[sugar] Studly caps

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen
Thu Jul 20 09:22:18 EDT 2006

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the presence service is now using studly caps in package names and in
> signal names. We should really have a convention about this...

The convention on D-Bus is to use StudlyCaps (including Single words)
for methods, signals, interfaces names and object paths (except for the
parts which are derived from domain components). It's usually mapped by
the bindings to the convention of your local language, so in Glib:
 BarSignal -> BAR_SIGNAL (the constant) / bar-signal (the string)
 FooInterface.BazMethod -> foo_interface_baz_method

The point of this is that provided the D-Bus interfaces have a
consistent capitalisation, it's easy to map to the conventions of other
languages. If you try and put eg glib conventions into your D-Bus API,
it will come out as very ugly in other language bindings, so I'd
recommend against it.

> I don't have such a strong feeling about the specific convention... but
> we should really make our conventions clear and use them consistently.

In D-Bus, use the D-Bus conventions, which will map to the glib
conventions in those bindings, and the correct conventions elsewhere.

Regards,
Rob