[SoaS] SoaS 10 liveinst OK but two questions

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Fri May 2 09:29:31 EDT 2014

Many thanks Peter

I successfully added GNOME (500 transactions!), however the system is
unstable now - neither Sugar nor GNOME can shut down or reboot the system,
and the package installer under GNOME fails systematically. I saw on the
forums yumex is a possible solution, but wanted your POV first.

(Irrelevant, but worth mentioning: I found GNOME 3 to be a nearly unusable
interface... spent nearly an hour fighting with it to find the package
installer... icon display truncated every program name, so I had to launch
a dozen programs to figure out what was what... surprised there was no
browser I could find in the install, but succeeded in adding Firefox with
yum at the command line).

I looked for the Sugar/GNOME switcher but didn't find it, did a # yum
install olpc-switch-desktop which brought it in. Oddly, GNOME -> Sugar
worked (login at blue screen still necessary), but Sugar -> GNOME froze the
machine.

The system boots with the Sugar animation, then displays the GNOME 3 login
screen with the blue background, the desktop choice is hidden under a
wrench icon at top right.

A hunch, perhaps there is an issue with the account rights? There is still
only one account, the admin account native to SoaS.... I don't remember
seeing a screen recommending a user account during the Anaconda liveinst.
The parameters screen in GNOME would not let me edit or add any accounts.

Perhaps repairing this is not time well spent - it's a blank machine,
perhaps I'd be better off doing a vanilla F20 install and adding Sugar to
it?

Note: only 512Mb of RAM and 7 Gb of disk space, could be a contributing
factors... I have ordered another 1Gb (max for this netbook).

any advice appreciated. thanks.

Sean